Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

activity ideas needed for small children

Hey ladies!
I am in a nursing class this semester in which we are helping out at a refugee daycare in Salt Lake. I'm supposed to come up with 8 or 9 developmental activities for the kids to do. Does anyone have any ideas? I think the children are probably around preschool age (some younger and some may be older). I know some of you have been teachers and many of you have great ideas simply because you have kids and do activities with them all the time. So let me know what ideas you have--I'm not picky. They could be things like stringing fruit loops on a string or bean bag games...whatever ideas you have for activities for small children, let me know.

Thanks!

-Amy Corson
corson.amy@gmail.com

4 comments:

Sun said...

We love playing with our rice bucket. Charlie could spend forever playing in that. He likes to move the rice from one container to another and put it through a funnel. You can also hide small toys in it and they can sift through it to find their "prize." Beans work great for that too. It's great for fine motor and tactile experience.

Blowing through straws to move cheerios around is fun. You can have races or mini obstacle courses if the kids are a bit older.

I love having the kids play in whipped cream or pudding. We just make piles on the table and let them go wild with it. They can paint with it or make patterns in it or just wipe it around. Bonus is that it sometimes makes it into their mouths.

We sometimes make sandwiches with cookie cutters. There are lots of fun things to do with food. All you need is a variety of food, some toothpicks and some imagination. (Can you tell we've done a lot of feeding therapy?)

We like to pretend to be animals. Like galloping like a horse or kicking like a donkey or jumping like a frog. This is fun because you get gross motor and they can make the sounds of the animals.

We also like to go on walks and find things to stick in our nature jar.

I always ask for paper bags when I go grocery shopping then we tear them up and cover the kitchen floor and give them lots of finger paint. They love having all of that space to work with.

I don't know. Pretty much anything you do that isn't watching tv can be developmental. I have a couple of books with fun activities if you want to take a look at them.

Justin and Carissa said...

I have a book of art project ideas for kids you could borrow. Children also love music. I have some songs that I used in the classroom last year that you could borrow if you want. There are some action songs that let them get there wiggles out, as well as educational songs, and just songs for fun.
A fun activity we did one day when it was warm outside was water painting. We got big paintbrushes and cups of water and we got to "paint" the school and sidewalks with water. The kids thought it was awesome.
Let me know if you need more ideas. Good luck!

Sara Woods said...

When I was a preschool teacher I used these websites to find activities: Everthingpreschool.com
Enchantedlearning.com
Preschooleducation.com

Good luck!

aMy said...

Thanks so much! Awesome ideas!